Clothes dryer sparks blaze at Baton Rouge home

BATON ROUGE — A clothes dryer is to blame for a house fire in Baton Rouge over the weekend.

The fire happened just before 4 p.m. Saturday on Hyacinth Ave. near Staring Ln. and Perkins Rd.

Baton Rouge Fire Department officials say when they arrived there was heavy smoke pouring from the home. Firefighters were able to enter the house through the carport door where they encountered heavy fire. Luckily, they were able to contain the fire damage to the laundry room.

 

According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are an average of 15,970 home fires involving a clothes dryer or washing machine every year. The NFPA says 92% of these fires involve clothes dryers.

The agency says these fires lead to more than a dozen deaths, more than 400 injuries and $238 million in direct property damage.

The leading items first ignited in dryer fires were dust, fiber or lint and clothing. Experts say it’s important to make sure you clean the lint trap periodically and ideally after every use. You can also have professionals come out and clean the vent duct as an added precaution.

Download the Unfiltered with Kiran app from the Apple App Store and Google Play to stay updated on any new developments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Interested in advertising with us?

We’d love to have you on the team! Drop us a line and we’ll be happy to follow up. 

Categories

Let's Connect

Follow along on your favorite social media platform and get the latest updates directly in your feed!

Got a tip on a story?
Search

Submit a Tip

Have a tip on a story? Send it directly to our team using the form below!