Iberville Parish’s Salute to Veterans event will be held on Nov. 11 and feature Governor John Bel Edwards and country music star David St. Romain.
The Marine Corps Reserve Band, Baton Rouge Pipes and Drums bagpipe group, military color units and the top JROTC rifle drill team in the state will also be a part of Iberville’s Veterans Day event. The event will take place in front the parish’s Veteran Memorial and Vietnam helicopter display from ten in the morning to noon.
At the event, people will have the opportunity to observe the Iberville Wall of Veterans which has over 2,000 pictures of Westbank Veterans.
The patriotic display will be set up for the event and will stay on exhibit through the holidays.
A patriot himself, Gov. Edwards is a graduate of one of the three military academies in the United States, Wespoint.
He graduated top of his class and served active duty for eight years before retiring with the rank of captain.
The Veterans Day event and parking are both free and the event is sponsored by the Parish President, J. Mitchell Ourso Jr. and the Iberville Parish Council.
Participation in the event is free of charge, but any supplies for military personnel will be appreciated and accepted by students from St. John School.
The students of St. John School organize and ship necessities and supplies to the troops.
For anyone wishing to make a donation, the following items are suggested:
- Lip Balm, antibiotic ointment, anti-itch ointment and muscle pain ointment
- Medicated foot powder and shoe inserts
- Eye drops and eyeglass wipes
- Mouthwash, toothpaste and non aerosol deodorant
- Miniature toilet paper rolls and feminine hygiene products
- Shaving cream and disposable razors
- Body wash/soap, baby wipes, shampoo, scrubbies, Q-tips and hand sanitizer
- Skin lotions, sunscreen lotion (in tube), non aerosol insect repellent and hand warmers
- Trail mix, popcorn, Cracker Jacks, beef jerky (no pork), Slim Jims and chewing gum
- Hot chocolate, powdered drink mixes for individual water bottles, powdered Gatorade, coffee/tea,
- Crossword puzzles, room fresheners, pencils/pens and small notebooks
In the case of rain, the event will be relocated to the Carl Grant Civic Center in Plaquemine.
For more information visit their website and click the flyer below.