Teen facing murder charge escapes juvenile center twice as motion to move him to parish prison awaits judge’s decision

BATON ROUGE – A 17-year-old indicted on a second-degree murder charge is on the run again after escaping from the East Baton Rouge Parish Juvenile Detention Center for the second time in less than two weeks. During his latest escape, he got away with another 17-year-old who was being held on a first-degree murder charge.

Both teens escaped the detention center around 8:30 p.m. November 25. Doug Atkins, 17, escaped from the same center on November 14. He was caught and rearrested only to escape again days later. This time, he was able to get away with Willie Jackson, 17, and Crime Stoppers is now offering a reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to their capture.

Following his first escape, EBR District Attorney Hillar Moore says he filed a motion to have Atkins transferred to the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison. A judge had not ruled on the motion before Atkins was able to escape again.

“Both juveniles have been charged as adults, and that’s why we filed the motions after they both escaped the first time to transfer them from the Juvenile Detention Center to the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison,” Moore said. “The problem we’re having is there are certain requirements that have to be followed when you move a juvenile into the parish prison and right now, the warden at the prison has told us they cannot be accommodated there. It’s why I’m trying to find a different facility to move them to and why a judge has not ruled on the motion yet because there’s nowhere for them to go.”

Moore said the continued escapes at the detention center put the public at risk as Atkins remains on the run and should be considered armed and dangerous.

“I think it’s extremely important for me to have filed this motion and now to have these juveniles arrested and properly detained in a facility that can keep them detained,” Moore said. “I’m disappointed that we haven’t been able to fix the security at the detention center.”

Atkins was originally arrested in August 2021 in connection to the death of Gregory Cotton and the attempted murder of Kentrell Maloid, arrest documents show. A grand jury indicted him on second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder charges. His bond was set at $250,000.

On Nov. 14, Atkins, 17, and Jeremiah Green, 17, escaped around 9 p.m. but were caught 24 hours later. The duo had simple escape charges added after their arrest. Green was accused of the attempted second-degree murder of Cortia Risen on Oct. 17, 2022. He’s also facing several other charges in connection to the alleged murder: illegal possession of stolen firearms, illegal possession of a handgun, and illegal use of weapons or dangerous instrumentalities. He had been in the juvenile detention center since March.

Anyone with information on Atkins or Jackson’s whereabouts can call Crime Stoppers at 225-344-STOP or submit an anonymous tip online.

Download the Unfiltered with Kiran app from the Apple App Store and Google Play to stay updated on any new developments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Interested in advertising with us?

We’d love to have you on the team! Drop us a line and we’ll be happy to follow up. 


Let's Connect

Follow along on your favorite social media platform and get the latest updates directly in your feed!

Got a tip on a story?

Submit a Tip

Have a tip on a story? Send it directly to our team using the form below!