Tiger Plaza Apartments units are “total loss” after last night’s fire

Last night’s three alarm fire at Tiger Plaza Apartments was finally extinguished around 8:30 p.m. after firefighters battled the flames for almost three hours.

No one was injured in the fire, but both apartment building 20 and 21 are deemed a “total loss.” Between the contents and the damage to the building, the fire caused over $1 million in damage.

Although no one was injured, there were eight people in the building at the time of the fire, four children and four adults.

Officials currently believe the fire started when a pot was left on the stove.

The occupant of unit 238 said she finished cooking and was eating her food when she began to notice smoke coming from the kitchen.

She went to the kitchen and saw the pot was on fire.

She repeatedly tried to put out the fire, but once she could not get it under control she escaped and warned the other units.

The smoke from the massive fire could be seen from half a mile away.

Units arrived at Tiger Plaza Apartments five minutes after the initial alarm, but the fire had already spread to the roof and engulfed the stairway to building 21.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department, the Baton Rouge Police Department and EMS all responded to the scene. Sixteen units, seven pumpers and three ladders were needed to get the fire extinguished.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Interested in advertising with us?

We’d love to have you on the team! Drop us a line and we’ll be happy to follow up. 

Categories

Let's Connect

Follow along on your favorite social media platform and get the latest updates directly in your feed!

Got a tip on a story?
Search

Submit a Tip

Have a tip on a story? Send it directly to our team using the form below!