WBR shooting witness: “It was extreme chaos and rightfully so”

PORT ALLEN — UWK is learning new details of the deadly shooting in Port Allen Friday night at the game between Port Allen High and Brusly.

Sources confirm the victim, 15-year-old Ja’Kobe Queen, & the alleged shooter, 18-year-old Jarrettin Jackson II, had planned to fight. That fight was supposed to be an “old-fashioned fight,” without any weapons. After about 10 seconds of actual fighting, sources confirm Jackson allegedly pulled out a gun and fired 4-5 shots.

Ja’Kobe Queen, 15

One of those shots hit Queen in the head and the teen did not survive his injuries. A bystander, Brasia Davis, 28, was shot in the arm. She was rushed to a hospital in a private vehicle.

Witness account

A witness at Friday night’s game described the events from their perspective to UWK, at the request of anonymity.

“It was the first game of the season and the 52nd meeting between the two teams in the Sugar Cane Classic, so everyone was excited,” the witness said.

“The first half didn’t disappoint and the score was tied at 13 as we all awaited an interesting second half.

The Brusly dance team performed at halftime before the Port Allen dance and color guard squads performed.

The Port Allen basketball team received its championship rings after capturing its fourth straight state title in March. With all the scheduled performances and ceremonies finished, everyone waited for both teams to take the field to stretch before the second half.

At every game, everyone visits the concession stand for food or to hang out during halftime. I was just waiting for the game to start again and my friends to get back from the concession stand.

Out of nowhere, I saw many people running and screaming, with people running toward the concession stand and away from it.

My initial thought was that a fight had broken out, but that quickly changed when I saw the look of horror on several people’s faces.

Someone nearby me who had gone to the concession stand came back saying ‘They shot someone. I was right there when it happened.’

That is when my mind instantly shifted to worry. I didn’t hear any shots, so I didn’t know what happened. I didn’t know if the person had gotten shot. Were they still shooting? Or anything like that.

I watched several kids who were escorted to the press box, most in tears of what they witnessed. People were shepherding loved ones to safety as best they could. It was extreme chaos and rightfully so.

Shortly after, an announcement was made that the game was over, and West Baton Rouge Sheriff’s deputies escorted everyone out of the stadium.

I followed the path near the fence behind the track and waited around for about 20 minutes with other witnesses. Seeing the airmed helicopter land on the field and more paramedics arrive made it feel like we were all a part of a TV show.

The most surreal and gut-wrenching moment of my life was seeing a young man lying on the sidewalk near the concession stand while paramedics assisted.

Seeing how that tragedy affected adults, coaches, kids, and administration from both schools was heartbreaking and something that hasn’t left my memory nearly 72 hours later, and I don’t think it ever will.”

The Investigation

18-year-old Jarrettin Jackson II

WBRSO is asking for the public’s help in finding the alleged shooter, 18-year-old Jarrettin Jackson II.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call WBRSO at 225-343-9234.

Download the Unfiltered with Kiran app from the Apple App Store and Google Play to stay updated on any new developments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Interested in advertising with us?

We’d love to have you on the team! Drop us a line and we’ll be happy to follow up. 


Let's Connect

Follow along on your favorite social media platform and get the latest updates directly in your feed!

Got a tip on a story?

Submit a Tip

Have a tip on a story? Send it directly to our team using the form below!