BATON ROUGE — A grand jury has indicted Markel Lee, the only person accused in the April shooting at the Mall of Louisiana that left one person dead and several injured.
Lee, 18, was charged with second-degree murder, six counts of attempted second-degree murder and illegal use of a weapon during a violent crime, court records show.
Lee turned himself in the day after the April 23 shooting and has been held without bond since then. His arrest came as a result of his grandmother’s cooperation with police, who had tracked her car as the gunman’s getaway car.
Police initially detained several people in the crime and were looking for others, but Police Chief T.J. Morse said last month that Lee is the only person they have been able to prove was involved.
“To the best of our knowledge, he was a lone shooter and he’s the one that’s going to be facing the consequences for that shooting,” Morse said.
The midday shooting caused chaos at the mall, sending shoppers scrambling to safety and drawing dozens of law enforcement officers to the scene.
Martha Odom, a 17-year-old high school senior from Lafayette, was killed. She and several classmates were in Baton Rouge for their “senior skip day.”
Special Olympics athlete Donnie Guillory was one of the people seriously injured the the melee.
Download the Unfiltered with Kiran app from the Apple App Store and Google Play to stay updated on the latest news across the Capital area.
Support UWK and its mission to deliver The News You Deserve. Unfiltered. Become a monthly patron on Patreon today!

















